From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2007 - 11:23:46 CDT

Hi,
  The color scale data range units are those of the property
by which you are coloring. So, if you've loaded an electrostatic
potential map and are using the color by volume coloring method,
then the color scale data range min/max values will be in the units
of the electrostatic potential map you're using for coloring.
I don't know of any particular range that most papers select, it
all depends on what you're attempting to show, and selecting a
color scale color scheme and data range that illustrates it clearly.
It is also advisable to add a color scale bar to the figure to help
clarify the values/colors.