From: Arnab Mukherjee (arnab_at_chimie.ens.fr)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2007 - 15:24:42 CDT

Hi Axel,
I am here again. But with the solution :)
Your suggestions were very helpful. After reading your previous email about
the possible mismatch between the kernel module and the driver etc. I tried
to update nvidia driver downloading from their own website (just checked
whatever version of nvidia graphics card I have) and found that my nvidia is
not updated (as you suggested in this email).

So after downloading the file below, I just installed it after stopping the
X server.
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.11-pkg2.run
It then installed 32 bit opengl and then compiled the kernel matching with
the graphics card and may be removed some incompatibilities automatically.

Now opengl works fine and so does vmd.

Thanks again
Arnab

On 7/6/07, Axel Kohlmeyer <akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, Arnab Mukherjee wrote:
>
> AM> Salut Axel,
>
> hi arnab,
>
> AM> Thanks for your advice regarding the editing of the previous post.
> Actually
> AM> I was not very familiar how it would appear in the mailing list.
> Please tell
> AM> me if I am making the same mistake here again.
>
> not at all. you're replying to my mail and acutally
> place your comments next to the relevant text from my
> previous e-mail. this is the best way of replying and
> i wish more people would reply like this, instead of
> just writing some text on top or below and quote the
> full mail.
>

> [...]
>
> AM> You are right. There is a problem of OpenGL. When I try typing
> glxinfo,
> AM> whole screen goes black and I am logged out.
>
> ok. so your OpenGL library was replaced by an incompatible
> one during the updates.
>
> [...]
>
> AM> I think I updated several softwares using yum. So they automatically
> checked
> AM> for dependencies etc. NVIDIA drivers came with the distribution. So I
> did
>
> pre-installed? then you should talk to your (hardware) vendor
> or take matters in your own hands.
>
> AM> not install it manually. I looked into the website you mentioned
> below,
> AM> howver I could not install or update NVDIA kernel module since it did
> not
> AM> find that the redhat linux enterprise v5 distribution:
> AM>
> AM> yum install kmod-nvidia
>
> no surprise here. the livna repository only works with fedora
> installations. i suspect the only resolution is now to download
> the NVIDIA driver from www.nvidia.com and install it manually.
> this was probably done before. the downloadable NVIDIA driver bypasses
> the rpm database used by yum and rpm, so the dependency tracking
> does not work. every time you update X related libraries or drivers
> or the kernel, you'll have to reinstall the nvidia driver (well,
> there are some shortcuts, but they'd take too long to explain).

> AM> Setting up Install Process
> AM> Setting up repositories
> AM> rhel-x86_64-client-workst 100% |=========================| 1.4 kB
> AM> 00:00
> AM> rhel-x86_64-client-5 100% |=========================| 1.4 kB
> AM> 00:00
> AM> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> AM> Parsing package install arguments
> AM> No Match for argument: kmod-nvidia
> AM> Nothing to do
> AM> --------------------
> AM> I created one bug report log file for nvidia which has lots of
> informations.
> AM> I attach it here if you have time to look into it. I think it has much
> more
> AM> information.
>

> well, it provides the required hint and resolution:

> [...]

Dr. Arnab Mukherjee
Post doctorate
Theoretical Chemistry
Departement de Chimie