From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2007 - 12:51:55 CDT

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, Arnab Mukherjee wrote:

AM> Salut Axel,

hi arnab,

AM> Thanks for your advice regarding the editing of the previous post. Actually
AM> I was not very familiar how it would appear in the mailing list. Please tell
AM> me if I am making the same mistake here again.

not at all. you're replying to my mail and acutally
place your comments next to the relevant text from my
previous e-mail. this is the best way of replying and
i wish more people would reply like this, instead of
just writing some text on top or below and quote the
full mail.

[...]

AM> You are right. There is a problem of OpenGL. When I try typing glxinfo,
AM> whole screen goes black and I am logged out.

ok. so your OpenGL library was replaced by an incompatible
one during the updates.

[...]

AM> I think I updated several softwares using yum. So they automatically checked
AM> for dependencies etc. NVIDIA drivers came with the distribution. So I did

pre-installed? then you should talk to your (hardware) vendor
or take matters in your own hands.

AM> not install it manually. I looked into the website you mentioned below,
AM> howver I could not install or update NVDIA kernel module since it did not
AM> find that the redhat linux enterprise v5 distribution:
AM>
AM> yum install kmod-nvidia

no surprise here. the livna repository only works with fedora
installations. i suspect the only resolution is now to download
the NVIDIA driver from www.nvidia.com and install it manually.
this was probably done before. the downloadable NVIDIA driver bypasses
the rpm database used by yum and rpm, so the dependency tracking
does not work. every time you update X related libraries or drivers
or the kernel, you'll have to reinstall the nvidia driver (well,
there are some shortcuts, but they'd take too long to explain).

AM> Setting up Install Process
AM> Setting up repositories
AM> rhel-x86_64-client-workst 100% |=========================| 1.4 kB
AM> 00:00
AM> rhel-x86_64-client-5 100% |=========================| 1.4 kB
AM> 00:00
AM> Reading repository metadata in from local files
AM> Parsing package install arguments
AM> No Match for argument: kmod-nvidia
AM> Nothing to do
AM> --------------------
AM> I created one bug report log file for nvidia which has lots of informations.
AM> I attach it here if you have time to look into it. I think it has much more
AM> information.

well, it provides the required hint and resolution:

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in your X
(EE) NVIDIA(0): log file that the GLX module has been loaded in your X
(EE) NVIDIA(0): server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX module. If
(EE) NVIDIA(0): you continue to encounter problems, Please try
(EE) NVIDIA(0): reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.

cheers,
   axel.