From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2007 - 15:31:51 CDT

Hi Charlotte,
sorry, mental mistake on my part -- I forgot that unlike (say) solvate,
membrane doesn't yet automatically embed the protein. What you'll need
to do is use VMD text commands to move the lipid patch to an appropriate
place, and then save the lipids that are not touching the protein. For
example, you can move the patch by making an atomselection and using the
moveby command:

set sel [atomselect top all]
$sel moveby {10 0 0}

to translate the whole patch 10 A along the x axis.

The steps to follow in order to get the protein properly embedded once
you've moved the patch to a position around the protein are identical to
those in the gramacidin tutorial
(http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/tutorial/NCSA2002/hands-on/):

package require psfgen

# Read in structure files
readpsf protein.psf
readpsf lipids.psf

# Read in coordinates
coordpdb protein.pdb
coordpdb lipids.pdb

writepsf combined.psf
writepdb combined.pdb

(Assuming you have a psf/pdb file for your lipids and proteins).

Again, sorry for the confusion on my part.

Best,
Peter