From: Francesco Pietra (chiendarret_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat May 26 2007 - 09:38:53 CDT

I must be doing something silly, because on trying to
install VMD 1.8.8 on Linux Debian i386 etch (32bit):

1)Downloaded the Linux OpenGL binary

2) Uncompressesed and untared into my home
/home/francesco/vmd-1.8.6

3) cd vmd-1.8.6

4) I did not change the configure script, which reads:

# Name of shell script used to start program; this is
the name used by users
$install_name = "vmd";

# Directory where VMD startup script is installed,
should be in users' paths.
$install_bin_dir="/usr/local/bin";

# Directory where VMD files and executables are
installed
$install_library_dir="/usr/local/lib/$install_name";

# optionally override hard-coded defaults above with
environment variables
if ($ENV{VMDINSTALLNAME}) {
  $install_name = $ENV{VMDINSTALLNAME}
}
if ($ENV{VMDINSTALLBINDIR}) {
  $install_bin_dir = $ENV{VMDINSTALLBINDIR}
}
if ($ENV{VMDINSTALLLIBRARYDIR}) {
  $install_library_dir = $ENV{VMDINSTALLLIBRARYDIR}
}

5) ./configure LINUX
(whereby nothing was reported, though,
'configure.options', opened with a text editor, shows
'LINUX')

Then changed to superuser

5) su

6) make install

which reported:

make: *** No rule to make target 'install'. Stop

and, of course, there is nothing about vmd at
/usr/local/bin.

I am administrator and single user of this computer,
so that vmd should start from my /home/francesco. How
to edit the script? Or what else?

The special required library was already in place:
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5.0.7
/usr/lib/debug/libstdc++.so.5
/usr/lib/debug/libstdc++.so.5.0.7

Thanks and apologies for having been so inefficient.

francesco pietra