From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun May 20 2007 - 13:16:38 CDT

Mark,
  At the moment, the standard build of VMD doesn't provide a way
of using the mask volumes. We have various experimental code that
does but this hasn't been integrated into VMD yet, as we're still
working out the kinks in how VMD stores, references, and operates
on volumetric data within a molecule. Once that is complete, the
mask volumes will be able to be used to operate on other maps, for
isosurface renderings, and various other purposes. We also want to
add voxel selection capability to the atom selection language as you
mention, but that work hasn't been started yet.

  John