From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun May 20 2007 - 13:13:04 CDT

Hi,
  I don't think there's a straightforward way to do this at the moment,
but one way you could do it is to keep track of the last time VMD received
an incoming IMD timestep, and if no new timesteps occured for a predetermined
amount of time, fire off a Tcl callback to shutdown VMD etc.
I could probably create new callbacks expressly for the purpose of
tracking the status of IMD connections in a future rev of VMD if this
would be helpful to you.

What are you doing with the VMD that's listening to NAMD via IMD?
Is this just intended as an ease-of-use improvement or are you using
VMD as an additional simulation logging mechanism of some sort?