From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2007 - 12:43:19 CDT

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007, Olaf Lenz wrote:

OL> Hello!
OL>
OL> Axel Kohlmeyer wrote:
OL> > VC> I was trying to render an image using depth cueing (vmd 1.8.6). However,
OL> > VC> even if I have all lights on, the image remains very dark ...
OL>
OL> I think I understand what Vlad means, as the effect actually kept me
OL> from using depth cueing even though it is useful in many cases. The
OL> problem he describes is, that the "fog" starts right at the eye, so that
OL> even the parts closest to the observer can already look cued and faded.

which, if correct, would (again) prove, that the kind of help one
can provide depends very much on asking the right questions and
providing an accurate descriptiong of the problem. 'render' implies
for me using an external renderer and 'display' would imply the default
display.

OL> Quick answer: to make the image less faded, choose the translation mode
OL> (press 't'), press and keep the middle mouse button pressed, and move
OL> the mouse left or right. This will probably do what you want.

in order to add any useful content, i'd also like to draw your attention
to the Display Settings dialog (and the corresponding script commands)
that allow to fine tune the settings for depth cueing, particularly
the cue density.

cheers,
   axel.