From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2007 - 11:03:04 CDT

Cesar,
  Many people actually run VMD without graphics as a means of performing
various analyses without having to download huge trajectory files to their
local workstation. Similarly, some people run tens or hundreds of independent
copies of VMD at a time on clusters as a means of accelerating some of
the bioinformatics functions provided by multiseq. These are just a few
examples, but the point is that you can actually do various things with
VMD even without a graphical interface. You can do this by starting VMD
with the command:
  vmd -dispdev text