From: Charles Cleveland (charles.cleveland_at_physics.gatech.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 08 2007 - 08:05:00 CDT

Selecting the Windows OpenGL link for version 1.8.6 (2007-04-07) from
the page linked to in the recent announcement of same by John Stone on
the vmd-l mailing list get me a file named vmd186win32.msi (pretty
promising so far). Clicking on this file doesn't seem to install
1.8.6. It seems to install a broken version of 1.8.5, but maybe that's
left over from the 1.8.5 installation that was previously there.

After installation, the directory C:\Program Files\University of
Illinois\VMD, contains (listing from cygwin's ls)

-rwx------+ 1 chas None 171753 Apr 2 21:06 Uninst.isu
drwx------+ 2 chas None 0 Apr 2 11:39 doc
drwx------+ 14 chas None 0 Dec 14 2005 plugins
drwx------+ 2 chas None 0 Apr 8 08:27 proteins
drwx------+ 7 chas None 0 Apr 8 08:26 scripts
drwx------+ 2 chas None 0 Apr 2 21:06 shaders
-rwx------+ 1 chas None 147456 Dec 20 2001 stride_WIN32.exe
-rwx------+ 1 chas None 94208 Dec 20 2001 surf_WIN32.exe
-rwx------+ 1 chas None 139348 Mar 21 01:51 tachyon_WIN32.exe
-rwx------+ 1 chas None 558592 Feb 5 2003 tcl84.dll
-rwx------+ 1 chas None 11776 Jan 9 2003 tcldde12.dll
-rwx------+ 1 chas None 24576 Jan 9 2003 tclpip84.dll
-rwx------+ 1 chas None 12800 Jan 9 2003 tclreg11.dll
-rwx------+ 1 chas None 1007104 Feb 5 2003 tk84.dll
-rwx------+ 1 chas None 2121793 Aug 25 2006 vmd.exe
-rwx------+ 1 chas None 1808 Jan 26 2006 vmd.rc

These dates look screwy. Running the vmd.exe executable here opens a
"VMD 1.8.5 OpenGL Display" window and a host of messages like (excuse
break in file name):

Warning) Rejecting plugin with incorrect ABI version: C:/Program
Files/University of Illinois/VMD/plugins/WIN32/molfile/biomoccaplugin.so

which did not occur before (I had recently installed 1.8.5). I thought
the installation of 1.8.5 didn't eliminate the 1.8.4 installation in
place, but I can't find any sign of 1.8.4 anymore.

------
Charles Cleveland, School of Physics, Ga Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0430
charles.cleveland_at_physics.gatech.edu
    404-894-5219