From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2007 - 11:31:05 CDT

Hi,
  As you've already noticed, the current implementation of the Mouse->Move
feature doesn't affect volumetric maps loaded into a molecule. I agree
that Mouse->Move->Molecule should be changed to affect the contained
volume data as well. I'll add this to the TODO list and let you know
when I have something for you. In the mean time, a cheap sleazy way of
getting what you want is to toggle the other molecules "fixed" (double
clicking the "F" in the molecule status line in the main VMD menu)
and then translate/orient the molecule as you see fit. This will not
change the atom coordinates or map coordinates however, so it isn't a
complete solution if you want to edit the map and save it back out.

We are planning to make a large number of improvements to the manipulation
of volumetric datasets in VMD, subsequent to 1.8.6. Between GPU acceleration
of some of the computationally demanding map processing routines and
various representation, GUI, and scripting updates, I expect that these
updates will be quite an improvement over what we have presently,
and will address most of the things people have been asking for recently.

Cheers,
  John