From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2007 - 14:39:21 CDT

Hi Per,

the easiest way is probably just to average the coordinates after
aligning them, which seems to be what you're doing.

Per Jr. Greisen wrote:
> for i in range(k):
> cas = sel.AtomSel('protein')
> cas.frame(i)
> cas.align()
>
> one gets the coordinates with the least difference?

Yes, you do. Note that it will by default fit only the atoms contained
in the atom selection, but move the whole molecule. This can also be
done a bit more easily as

for i in range(k):
    cas.align(frame=i)

> I have a last question regarding the use of BigDCD - I would like to get
> my coordinates out from a MD simulation where the size of the DCD-file
> exceeds my physical RAM:
>
> import Molecule as mol
>
> m = mol.Molecule()
> m.load('protein.psf')
> m.load('min_prot.dcd')
>
> is it possible to include the bigDCD into the python mode?

Bigdcd is just a tcl script that acts on a frame, deletes it, and reads
the next one; there isn't currently a python equivalent, but you could
probably do the exact same thing in python without too much trouble
using the original bigdcd as a guide.

Peter