From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2007 - 17:06:29 CST

Rob,
  I've been working on a new implementation of the
code which preserves the current view when new structures
are loaded, but it is not finished yet. This new
code will (when finished) allow new molecules to be loaded
without disturbing your view. Similarly, I want to enable a new
variant of "display resetview" which affects the centering and scaling,
but not the rotational orientation of the view, but this is also
currently a work in progress and will not be finished until a later
version of VMD. In the interim, the best workaround is to save
and restore the view matrices, which is done in the VMD save_state
procedure, and also in some of the view control scripts like this one:
 http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/view_change_render/

Let us know if you need help using these.

  John