From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2007 - 05:24:25 CST

hi rob,

On 3/4/07, Rob <spamrefuse_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have several objects loaded into my Display
> (molecules, trajectory objects etc.) and I have
> carefully chosen the proper angle of viewing
> in the Display window, by rotating/translating with
> the mouse.
>
> It's then a terrible nuissance, when I add another
> object, e.g. 'New Molecule...' or 'Load Data into
> Molecule..."; because then the viewpoint is reset
> to a default viewing angle.
>
> If I need a perfect overlap with previously generated
> pictures/movies, this is extremely inconvenient.

you can save an restore viewpoints. see e.g. the
save_state proc bundled with VMD or the attached
reload.tcl script. in your case, you'd need to adapt it,
to apply the stored viewpoint to the old and the newly
loaded molecule.

you can probably even hook this into the molecule loading
event loop (see the VMD docs for traceable variables there).

it'll require some advanced tcl scripting, but it should be doable.

cheers,
    axel.