From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2007 - 03:06:28 CST

There's an undocumented command which you can use to resize the
display window. It doesn't work on all platforms (which is why
it's not documented in the VMD User's Guide or tutorials yet),
so you'll have to take this with a grain of salt, but the
command is (replace xxxx yyy with valid integer size values):
  display resize xxxx yyyy

The VMD text mode display device will accept large numbers
which would be insane for OpenGL, so it's handy to use when
doing batch movie rendering etc. In addition, several of
the external rendering programs supported by VMD provide
optional command line arguments to override the scene-defined
output image resolution, so you can use those as well. The
new version of Tachyon that will come with VMD 1.8.6 adds these
and a bunch of other new features...