From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2007 - 18:34:34 CST

Hi Matt,
  Many of the modeling related tasks involving changing coordinates,
adding/deleting atoms, and so on are covered in the various NAMD tutorials
even though the majority of those operations are done within VMD.
This may be why you didn't see what you were looking for when reading the
tutorials previously. You can find all of the more modeling oriented
tutorial materials here, but I have suggestions below that may be more
directly relevant to your problems:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Tutorials/

There are a few key details that may be causing your confusion:
  1) Moving molecules in the VMD view doesn't necessarily
     alter their coordinates. (e.g. rotating/translating/toggling
     "fixed" etc only affects the display and not the underlying atoms)

  2) If you do want to change the atom coordinates, you need to use
     the Mouse -> Move menus to do that.

  3) After you have made changes to atom coordinates, you must re-write
     your structure file. This is normally done using the
     File -> Save Coordinates menu. This menu is activated for use
     once you have selected a molecule in the molecule browser of the main
     VMD window. (e.g. a molecule line is highlighted yellow)
     The Load State and Save State menus DO NOT make any changes
     to your structure files, they only save the molecular graphics scene.

If you built the structure non-graphically using the various atom selection
commands, you can either save the new structure using the GUI, or you can
save it using commands like "$sel writepdb foo.pdb", for example.

I find it's often much easier to answer very specific questions than
very general ones, so it might be easier to work through the problems
you're having one step at a time rather than all at once. I'm happy to
help you out as best I can.