From: Dow Hurst DPHURST (DPHURST_at_uncg.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 30 2007 - 11:08:22 CST

John,
The output of "glxinfo | grep NVIDIA" does give this:

server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL version string: 2.1.0 NVIDIA 97.46

So, I am using the latest driver like I thought. I'll be happy to run some
diagnostics. I did download the packaged version of vmd-1.8.5 and did not
compiled from scratch. I am running 32bit on this workstation. It is a
Dell Precision 470 dual Xeon w/1Gb RAM. I mentioned it is running SUSE 9.3
with the kernel 2.6.11.4-21.15-smp.
Thanks,
Dow

John, your reply is included below:

Dow,
 In general, any of the "NVRM" driver messages are low-level
diagnostic messages that indicate internal problems with either
the video driver, the kernel, or the hardware itself. I'm surprised
that you're experiencing this with driver 1.0-9746, as I've run
VMD on a few different machines with that driver version and I haven't
seen that driver message before. I haven't tried running VMD on
a Quadro FX 1300, there may be some reason that board is handled
differently, or the drivers may have a bug that only affects that
combination of board and linux kernel. We're currently running
a GeForce 7800GTX with 1.0-9631, and a GeForce 8800GTX with 1.0-9741
on two of our main linux VMD/viz machines, and I'm not getting the
GLSL compiler warnings nor the NVRM messages you're seeing.
(and the mouse wheel works fine for me)
My tests systems here are both running RedHat EL4,
the 7800GTX system has a 2.6.9-42.0.3EL kernel (one CPU),
and the 8800GTX machine has the same kernel, but has 4 processors.

Can you double check that your nvidia driver that's actually loading
is indeed the version that you installed? Try doing this:
% glxinfo | grep NVIDIA

You should see something like:
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL version string: 1.2 (2.1.0 NVIDIA 96.31)

If you do get 97.41 and you're still seeing these bugs, send me an
email and we'll see what we can figure out. I've run across a number
of cases where the NVidia drivers behave very differently on different
cards, so although they are behaving correctly for the 7800/8800 cards
I've tested on this week, it's quite possible your Quadro FX 1300 is
being handled differently by their driver.