From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 30 2007 - 11:04:27 CST

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Rob wrote:

R> I made a large enough triangle that has
R> enough plane-ness for my purpose. Great!
R>
R> However, one important problem left: the plane
R> of the triangle is always solid, so I cannot
R> (partially) see through. How can I make
R> that transparent 80 percent or so ?

before you 'draw' the triangles you select a
transparent material similar as the color. e.g.,

draw material Transparent
draw color white
draw triangle ...

please note, that VMD currently supports only one material
for all (manually drawn) graphics objects per 'molecule'.

R> Thanks,
R> Rob.
R>
R> PS: I'm surprised one can easily draw a triangle,
R> but not an equaly simple plane-like square....

it is much easier to build 3d objects from triangles.
and a square or rectangle is just two of them.

as i wrote before, it is not much of a deal to provide
that kind of functionality for convenience objects
via vmd_draw_XXX tcl scripts. if you have a good idea
of what would be a reasonably API for drawing a square
(or rectangle, or other objects that might be of use)
just let us know and we'll see if that can be implemented
with reasonable effort.

cheers,
   axel.