From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2007 - 01:35:38 CST

Hi,
  In order to use the MSMS representation on a Windows PC,
you must first download and install MSMS on your computer.
MSMS is available from Scripps here:
  http://www.scripps.edu/~sanner/html/msms_home.html

Once you've downloaded MSMS and installed it somewhere, then you
need to set the MSMSSERVER system environment variable using
your Windows control panel. The environment variable should be
set to the full path of the executable, e.g.:
  c:\program files\msms\msms.exe
Once this is done, and you've saved the newly added
environment variable in your control panel settings, the next
time you start VMD, it will know where to find MSMS and will
run it automatically to calculate the solvent surface. MSMS runs
much faster than Surf, so downloading and using it is very desirable.

For measuring solvent accessible surface area, you'll
want to use the "measure sasa" command. There isn't a
graphical interface for this yet, since there are so many
ways to use this command, but there are a number of past emails
on this subject in the VMD-L archive that you can reference to
help you get started. Let us know if you have more questions
on this.