From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2007 - 14:18:54 CST

Hi,
  When you compiled before, did you enable the CAVE option? It's possible
that the issue with your build is indeed an issue with the Linux kernel
printing messages as Axel Kohlmeyer mentioned previously. The normal
VMD builds allocate the display memory using the system-provided memory
allocators. When compiled with the CAVE option, VMD uses a multiprocessor
shared memory allocation mechanism, and the organization of some of the
data in memory is just slightly different. Since you compiled the code
on a 64-bit platform, it's possible that you're getting alignment warnings
about pointers in the display lists, or something like that. These should
not be harmful, but the kernel may be printing the warnings for performance
reasons, as the IA64 architecture may have to emulate misaligned loads/stores
in software via kernel traps. If this is related to your problem, then
recompiling with the CAVE option turned off may make the kernel messages
go away. I would be curious to know what the actual cause of the messages
is, even though as Axel already pointed out, they can probably be
disabled by telling the kernel to be quiet.