From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2006 - 10:42:08 CST

Hi,
  You could use VMD with an orthographic projection and a moving clipping
plane to create snapshots of your slices that way. That would be an easy
way to generate a set of printouts of slices. For the clipping plane, I'd
use a user-defined clipping plane and I'd set the position precisely using
a script so that you get even slice spacing. You might find it useful to
try the Postscript output in that case, since it will emit vector graphics
which will scale to arbitrary size. You could make the slices from cardboard,
foam core, balsa wood, or various other things as long as you had an easy
way to cut the slices out. For the thicker materials you might need to use
a router, jigsaw, or something similar. Once glued together you
could concievably trim the edges with a Dremel tool and a sanding disc or
something similar to round them off if you weren't looking to retain the
sliced look.

  John