From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2006 - 15:04:27 CST

Hi,
  If running "unix2dos" has an affect on whether or not the trajectory loads,
then the source of the problem is file conversion between your Linux and
Windows host, and has nothing to do with VMD at all. Most likely something
different occured when you copied the trajectory to the machines with the
other versions of VMD which did not result in corruption. When copying
binary file formats (such as DCD) you have to be very careful that no
carriage return or line feed translation is done at any step, otherwise
the file will be corrupted. Tools like unix2dos and dos2unix are meant
for text files only. If applying them to a DCD fixed your problem, then
the file had been corrupted to begin with and running the translator
on it just returned the binary values to what they should have been.
(even a non-text binary file like a DCD will contain CR/LF chars, by
 coincidence, so text processing tools will sometimes operate on them,
 but this is absolutely to be avoided as there are typically other
 side effects that are not necessarily reversible.)