From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2006 - 17:26:32 CST

Vlad,
  I have a preliminary fix for the problems with unusual nucleic
acid terminal residues etc. This new test version of VMD is less sensitive
to atom names and certain structural elements that VMD 1.8.4 and 1.8.5
demanded, and so it should correctly handle the 1S72 structure, along with
several other new ribosome and other nucleic acid structures.

Due to short-term machine outages caused by a local problem with our
computer room chilled water supply, I'm only able to build a
64-bit Linux test version at present. Let me know if you're
able to try out this version and whether or not it cures the problems
you've had with some of the new ribosome and nucleic acid structures.
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/alpha/nucfix/

I hope to have test versions built for other platforms shortly after
we regain air conditioning in our machine rooms, hopefully tomorrow or
in the next couple days.