From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2006 - 14:27:52 CDT

Hi,
  No, GLSL is not required in order to use the VolumeSlice representation
or the Volume coloring method. GLSL is just an optional rendering mode that
invokes an alternative shading/rendering path that generates images that look
nicer, but should otherwise contain the same data that the normal non-GLSL
rendering mode does.

VolumeSlice and the Volume coloring method both require 3-D texturing.
The Intel video chipsets have had various problems with 3-D texturing in
the past. As I recall, the symptom of the problem I've heard reported before
is that the Intel drivers claim 128x128x128 3-D texture support, but when
VMD actually tries to use it, they revert to 128x128x1, causing the
checkerboard pattern you're seeing (which is VMD's way of indicating
that it was not possible to display the 3-D texture at all...)

Since you've got the latest Intel drivers, the next thing to do is
file a bug report with them so they know that their customers want
working 3-D texturing. I know someone who works at Intel on their
graphics software, so I'll send them a note as well, but the more people
that raise the issue, the more likely it is to get fixed.