From: Robin L Hayes (robin.hayes_at_nyu.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2006 - 19:26:24 CDT

Hello,

Based on the other archived posts, I suspect I have a video card
problem. Like many others, I want to color an isosurface or VolumeSlice
using the "Volume" option under the "Coloring Method" in the "Graphical
Representations" window. For simplicity, I used the water example (7.1)
given on Axel's CPMD VMD tutorial page:
(http://www.theochem.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/~axel.kohlmeyer/cpmd-vmd/part5.html#chap7).

Everything, including the VolumeSlice without the Volume coloring
option, works fine except for the Volume coloring method for the
isosurface. I get a characteristic checkerboard pattern. However,
according to the initial VMD system information (given below), my video
card should be able to handle 3D arrays up to 128x128x128, while the
volume array is only 40x40x40. Does the volume coloring option require
GLSL rendering? If so, that is probably the problem. I looked in the
manual, but the volume option doesn't appear (Table on page 67 in the
current pdf manual). It is not clear to me exactly what features won't
work if GLSL is not enabled.

I'm using an HP Pavilion dv1000 laptop [Intel(R) Pentium(R) M, 1.256 GB
RAM] running Windows XP home edition. I updated my video card driver today.

Info> VMD for WIN32, version 1.8.5 (August 25, 2006)
Info> OpenGL renderer: Intel 855GM
Info> Features: STENCIL MDE CVA MTX PP
Info> GLSL rendering mode is NOT available.
Info> Textures: 2-D (2048x2048), 3-D (128x128x128), Multitexture (4)
Info> Spaceball driver not installed. Spaceball interface disabled.
Info> No joysticks found. Joystick interface disabled.
Warning> Rejecting plugin with incorrect ABI version: C:/Program
Files/University of Illinois/VMD/plugins/WIN32/molfile/mrcplugin.so
Found 57 plugins or data handlers in directory
         'C:/Program Files/University of
Illinois/VMD/plugins/WIN32/molfile/'.

Any suggestions beyond find a different computer to run on?

Thanks,

Robin