From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2006 - 22:46:01 CDT

Enzo,
  Yes, VMD currently requires that trajectories have a consistent
atom count for all frames. You can workaround this by creating
"dummy" atoms, but another issue you'll soon discover is that VMD
assumes a consistent structure (unchanging bonding pattern) from
one frame to the next, so that may also require special handling.
We plan to address this in future versions of the program, but this
is a limitation of the current design. Let me know if you need help
doing something with dummy atoms etc.

  John