From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 09 2006 - 22:45:06 CDT

Hi,
  In short, no there's not a "stripped" version per se. You can
build VMD with an extremely minimalistic set of functionality by
turning off all of the optional features, but even this would still
leave you with the text command language and many other pieces it
sounds like you don't want/need. You can however run VMD without
it's normal graphical user interface. See the "-dispdev cave" startup
option, for example, which runs VMD without any of the normal GUI windows
for use in the CAVE. (there's also another "-dispdev caveforms" option
that allows CAVE+GUI, for example) If these aren't sufficient, tell me
more about what you're trying to do and we may be able to help.