From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2006 - 16:18:23 CDT

Ralph,
  The scene export code in VMD uses various different strategies depending
on the limitations of the file format we're exporting to. Some file formats
don't have any support for spheres, cylinders, triangle strips or
vertex arrays, and others have them, but require color and material
information to be specified at every vertex, which can fatten up the
exported files tremendously.

When we have to emit spheres and cylinders as triangles, that by itself can
make the exported scene very large. Going beyond that however,
I would say that it's often the color and material information that is
the direct cause of file bloat with the old scene file formats. I have
no idea how sophisticated these Blender input filter Python scripts are,
but I have a feeling that many of them probably only work with the simplest
form of some of these formats. VRML is a good example of a format that
is pretty easy to write but very difficult import due to the huge diversity
of options that may be difficult to support. I suspect that this is what's
going on with some of the formats you've tried importing into Blender.
I believe our Wavefront export doesn't include material data presently,
so that may be one that would work well with Blender with a bit more work.

  John