From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 04 2006 - 22:37:09 CDT

Adrian,
  Yes, if you rename any atom, it is immediately renamed for all frames,
since the atom names are only stored once-per-molecule, not once-per-frame
currently. e.g.:
  set sel [atomselect top all]
  set oldnames [lsort -unique [$sel get name]]

  set casel [atomselect top "name CA"]
  $casel set name foo
  set newnames [lsort -unique [$sel get name]]
  puts "oldnames: $oldnames"
  puts "newnames: $newnames"

  John