From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri May 26 2006 - 15:12:12 CDT

Hi,
  Yes, the LINUXAMD64 version is what you want to run if you have a
64-bit installation of Linux on an Opteron.

What do you get if you run VMD with:
vmd -dispdev text

See the Linux release notes page, which includes instructions for following
that step if the problem isn't already obvious at that point.
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/linuxrelnotes.html