From: Sabuj Pattanayek (sabuj.pattanayek_at_Vanderbilt.Edu)
Date: Thu May 18 2006 - 20:54:06 CDT

Hi,

> This is probably the only way we'll ever get ATI to fix them.

Have you ever spoken with/emailed an ATI engineer/technical person? Are
they really doing anything to fix a handful of really annoying problems
that make X nearly impossible to use with their drivers?

The reason why I ask is that I've been doing exactly what you
recommended since fglrx v8.8.25 on internet forums (rage3d), an
unofficial bugzilla (ati.cchtml.com), as well as on their official
support. There's even an online petition to ATI to fix their drivers
which I signed (http://www.petitiononline.com/atipet/petition.html , no
I didn't start it). Yet, all I receive are canned messages and buggy
driver updates from ATI support.

> If you guys find different ways to crash the code, this should be
> sent to ATI so they'll finally fix it.

Yeah no problem, you don't even need to start VMD. Just login to X, wait
a couple of seconds, logout of X, and your system is dead. No kernel
panic, just a black screen. This has been happening since v8.16.20 .

Don't let me discourage anyone from sending bug reports to ATI, but I'm
done with ATI products for my x86 linux workstations and notebooks.

Thanks,
Sabuj Pattanayek