From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu May 18 2006 - 18:32:03 CDT

Sabuj, and others,
  Could you (and anyone else using the ATI fglrx drivers) please report
the VMD bugs you've experienced on the ATI web site?:
  https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27
or (tinyurl):
  http://tinyurl.com/3pm2v
(you have to navigate to the linux page and use their bug reporting forms)

This is probably the only way we'll ever get ATI to fix them. They'll
need debugger tracebacks when the driver bug crashes VMD, but this is
fairly easy to provide by running vmd with the command:
  vmd -debug

This starts VMD within the gdb debugger.
>From there, just do:
  run
when VMD crashes type:
  where

The output you get is what the ATI driver engineers (and myself) need
in order to fix the problems.

If the VMD 1.8.4 version doesn't crash on you, try enabling the full
up OpenGL features (by turning off my ATI workaround code) and post
the debugger crash log info on the ATI web site (and send me a copy).
You can turn off the ATI bug workaround code in VMD like this:
  setenv VMDDISABLEATILINUXWORKAROUND 1

If you guys find different ways to crash the code, this should be
sent to ATI so they'll finally fix it.