From: JC Gumbart (gumbart_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed May 17 2006 - 14:21:55 CDT

This problem is most likely due to the straightness of the tails
initially. If you start a simulation with the entire membrane free
to move, the tails will interdigitate very easily, thus making it
harder for them to randomize (and as a result, reducing the bilayer
thickness). However, if you first simulate for a short time (up to
0.5 ns) with the headgroups fixed, the tails will "melt", adopting a
more natural configuration.

This paper discusses in more detail some of the complexities of
simulating lipid bilayers:

Justin Gullingsrud and Klaus Schulten. Lipid bilayer pressure
profiles and mechanosensitive channel gating. Biophysical Journal,
86:3496-3509, 2004.