From: Robert Brunner (rbrunner_at_uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2006 - 13:07:00 CDT

Often problems like this result from an error in your shell startup
files. See if you have a .profile or .cshrc file in your home
directory and try renaming them so they don't get executed when you
start a shell. These files won't show up in the Finder, you'll have
to open a Terminal and do an ls -a to see if they exist. If this
allows VMD to startup, they you'll have to look at the file and
figure out what is causing VMD problems.

Robert