From: Marcos Sotomayor (sotomayo_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2006 - 13:28:47 CDT

Hi Margaret,

If you look at the topology file of CHARMM, you will
find definitions for multiple types of termini. For instance:

PRES ACE 0.00 ! acetylated N-terminus
GROUP ! use in generate statement
ATOM CAY CT3 -0.27 !
ATOM HY1 HA 0.09 ! HY1 HY2 HY3
ATOM HY2 HA 0.09 ! \ | /
ATOM HY3 HA 0.09 ! CAY
GROUP ! |
ATOM CY C 0.51 ! CY=OY
ATOM OY O -0.51 ! |

or

PRES CT1 0.00 ! methylated C-terminus from methyl acetate
GROUP ! use in generate statement
ATOM N NH1 -0.47 !
ATOM HN H 0.31 ! OT1
ATOM CA CT1 0.17 ! | //
ATOM HA HB 0.09 ! -N--CA--C HT1
ATOM C CD 0.63 ! | | \ /
ATOM OT1 OB -0.52 ! HN HA OT2--CT--HT2
ATOM OT2 OS -0.34 ! \
ATOM CT CT3 -0.14 ! HT3
ATOM HT1 HA 0.09 !
ATOM HT2 HA 0.09 !
ATOM HT3 HA 0.09 !

You need to use the patch command (described in the user guide of psfgen)
in order to apply the corresponding patches (ACE, CT1, etc.) to your
protein.

Marcos