From: Dan White (dan_at_chalkie.org.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2006 - 12:36:16 CST

Hi,

Not true...
I have hardware stereo, crystal eyes, in a window working with PyMol
on a non supported G5 1.6 GHz singel processor with an older video
card, not the new quadro

I am using a crystal eyes E2 emitter box plugged into the stereo
graphic stereo enabler cable that goes between the graphics card and
the monitor cable , which takes power from the keyboard port of an
adjacent SGI indigo 2, how ironic, into an old sgi monitor.

PyMol and OIRIX with the quad buff stereo plugin both work for stereo
in a window with the crystal eyes system.

Its not supposed to work but it does!

havent tried vmd yet

doenst work yet with bioimagexd which uses VTK , but we will get it
working as it doesnt work yet on linux either and it should

havent tried chimera either

Dan

On Mar 29, 2006, at 7:24 PM, vmd-l digest wrote:

> Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 10:19:06 -0600
> From: John Stone <johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu>
> Subject: Re: vmd-l: Stereo on MacG5 (single processor) for VMD,
> Chimera UCSF etc.
>
> Hi,
> Unless you have one of the newer Macs, you can't do stereo except in
> fullscreen mode as far as I know. The "nanosaurus" demo you tried
> was a full screen application right? Windowed stereo requires that
> you
> have a Quadro graphics board and the latest MacOS X OpenGL drivers, as
> far as I know.
>
> The Linux situation is a little different. In that case there are
> some
> additional complications in that the currently shipping nVidia drivers
> can do either multisample antialiasing OR stereo, but not both at
> the same
> time. Since only a small percentage of VMD users have the
> CrystalEyes hardware
> on Linux, the default VMD behavior is to use multisample
> antialiasing on these
> cards that can only do one or the other. You can set an
> environment variable
> VMDPREFERSTEREO which will cause VMD to use stereo and sacrifice
> antialiasing
> on these particular video cards. SGI and Sun machines don't have
> these kinds
> of limitations, so the necessity to choose between antialiasing and
> stereo
> is only an issue with these PC graphics cards.
>
> John Stone
> vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu

Dr. Daniel James White BSc. (Hons.) PhD
Bioimaging Coordinator
Nanoscience Centre and Department of Biological and Environmental
Sciences
Division of Molecular Recognition
Ambiotica C242
PO Box 35