From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2006 - 10:19:06 CST

Hi,
  Unless you have one of the newer Macs, you can't do stereo except in
fullscreen mode as far as I know. The "nanosaurus" demo you tried
was a full screen application right? Windowed stereo requires that you
have a Quadro graphics board and the latest MacOS X OpenGL drivers, as
far as I know.

The Linux situation is a little different. In that case there are some
additional complications in that the currently shipping nVidia drivers
can do either multisample antialiasing OR stereo, but not both at the same
time. Since only a small percentage of VMD users have the CrystalEyes hardware
on Linux, the default VMD behavior is to use multisample antialiasing on these
cards that can only do one or the other. You can set an environment variable
VMDPREFERSTEREO which will cause VMD to use stereo and sacrifice antialiasing
on these particular video cards. SGI and Sun machines don't have these kinds
of limitations, so the necessity to choose between antialiasing and stereo
is only an issue with these PC graphics cards.