From: Peter Engelhardt (engelhar_at_medi.mappi.helsinki.fi)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2006 - 23:53:56 CST

Hi all 3D experts,

It has been announced that MacOS X is now able to
show 3D presentations like the good old SGI has
been performing elegantly for years.

We have recently got the hardware equipment:
"CrystallEyes" emitter, high frequence and CRT
monitor etc parts for our MacG5 (single
processor, no additional graphics cards installed
yet).

NOTE: We experienced a positive test using
Nanosaurus 2 (demo version, able to show the
presentations in 3D, with "CrystallEyes") that
worked perfectly with stunning scenarios.

Further, we have noticed that the emitter does
not seem to give any response with other
softwares that we have tested so far.

Now, we would be very happy to know what is wrong
and how to get the 3D stereo working in e.g. VMD
using our MacG5 and if there is someone who can
tell us, as well, how to get the same 3D working
e.g. in Chimera UCSF, and in many other
visualizing softwares in use,.

We have experienced the same analogous troubles
with has been reported earlier using Linux:

At 12:32 +0100 07.01.2003, Karsten Suhre wrote:
>However, when I try to switch to "CrystallEyes" in the Display pull-Down menu,
>I only obtain two separate pictures of my molecule (one above the other, as
>without a stereo board).
>
>Am I missing something (e.g. setting some environment variable)???

We are most interested to know also if the 3D
stereo problems has been solved for VMD (and for
other softwares) using Linux.

Many thanks in advance

Cheers
Peter

Peter Engelhardt, PhD, docent
Assistant Professor in Molecular Genetics
Unit of Molecular Electron Tomography
Department of Pathology and Virology
Haartman Institute
P.O.Box 21, FI-00014 Univ. of Helsinki, Finland
Visiting Address: Haartmaninkatu 3, Helsinki
Office Tel: (+358-9)-19126431 (direct)
Laboratory Tel: (+358-9)-19126442
EM facilities, Tel: (+358-9)-19126885
Digilab: (+358-9)-19126886
Fax: (+358-9)-19126700
FI-00014 Univ. of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
LCE, Laboratory of Computational Engineering,
Research Center for Computational Science and Engineering
Helsinki University of Technology (TKK),
P.O.Box 9203, FI-02015 TKK, FINLAND
Visiting Address: Innopolis 2, Tekniikantie 14, Espoo
Office Tel: (+358-9)-4514843 (direct)
Home address:
Lindstedstvägen 1 B 7
FI-02700 Grankulla,