From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2006 - 10:16:00 CST

Hi,
  You can transform an atom selection by a 4x4 matrix with the
the "atomselect move" command:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node177.html#13498

Once transformed, you can write out the piece of structure with
$sel writepdb, load it into psfgen, etc...

If you feel enterprising, this could potentially be entirely automated
with scripts, as the test versions of VMD 1.8.4 retain PDB REMARK lines
which typically contain the necessary transformation matrices, which
can be queried (one huge string) with 'molinfo top get remarks',
for example.