From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2006 - 16:44:57 CST

Dear VMD-L,
  I've posted a new test version of VMD 1.8.4 for people
that are interested in trying it out. The changes are
too numerous to list in email, but the list of changes
since b11 is posted here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-new/devel.html

These interim test versions are now being made available
via BioCoRE, which makes it easier for me to exchange
test files, bug reports, and chat with users testing them:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/alpha/

I've been asked by a number of people about creating a
VMD Wiki, but due to the recent phenomina of "Wiki spammers"
I've decided to try doing something similar, but using the
"public project" features of BioCoRE which should be secure
from such spammers, and has the side benefit of allowing
chatting, large file exchange, posting of images, and numerous
other things that can't be done in a Wiki. I've started a simple
VMD "tips" area in the VMD public project on BioCoRE, and anyone
can edit these pages to add more links etc, much as they would on
a Wiki, except that this is done using plain HTML and text rather
than with Wiki markup. The test page for this is here:
  http://biocore.ks.uiuc.edu/biocore/biofs/VMD%20(Public)/index.html
or (tinyurl)
  http://tinyurl.com/f2h4z

I'd like to invite all interested VMD users to join the VMD Public Project
and participate in improving the Wiki-like VMD tips page I've started,
try out the new test version, and chat online with other VMD users.
Hope to see a few of you online!