From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 20 2006 - 18:41:22 CST

Younes,
  Did you try running these commands manually (rather than in .vmdrc)
after loading your molecule? Depending on how you're running VMD,
these commands can take place in such a way that they won't affect
the molecule(s) you have loaded. Even in the best case, adding them
to .vmdrc will only affect a molecule loaded at startup from the
command line. Also, you may have to escape the ' characters since
they may be treated as a regular expression syntax otherwise.
Check the VMD User's Guide, there are a few examples there of
specifying atom names that contain punctuation characters such as '.