From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 08 2006 - 17:34:53 CST

Hi Nuno,
  It sounds like most people are just using editors for this purpose.
Believe it or not I still do most of my programming in a plain
non-syntax colored implementation of 'vi', even for multi-thousand line
pieces of code (C/C++/Tcl, etc..). I think that with Tcl you've got an
unusual case in that it's possible to write syntactically bad code and not
realize it as the Tcl interpreter doesn't even look at the code until it
actually gets run. I've had bad code in scripts that didn't get found until
much later for this reason. So, in the case of Tcl in particular, a syntax
highlighting editor is probably a very good idea, as it may help catch some
of that sort of thing before you even try to run it. With C/C++ it's not
as big of a problem since a syntactically invalid piece of code won't make
it past the first compilation attempt. I think you'll be fine with doing
big pieces of Tcl if you use a decent syntax aware editor.