From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 02 2006 - 17:31:45 CST

Hi Pietro,
  Here're a few tips for you on the questions you asked:

  1) The NVidia 8178 drivers for linux are quite buggy, they'll work so long
     as you stay clear of using GLSL in VMD, but I recommend upgrading when
     they fix the bugs that various people have reported.

  2) Spaceball: I may need to send you a small test program for you to use
     in determining why VMD isn't communicating with it correctly. It's
     possible that yours is one of the newer models that doesn't work quite
     right with the libsball code yet. Another possibility is that the
     3DConnexion driver is setting the device to a mode that the libsball
     code cannot recover it from, and thus is "deaf" to ball events for
     some reason. We'll have to try a few things to figure out what's
     going on there.

  3) Some older MSMS binaries malfunctioned on new Linux distributions.
     Several people reported this and I believe Michel Sanner has released
     new binaries on his web site which fix the problem with the socket
     interface not working. If you're happy with using the VMDMSMSUSEFILE
     environment variable, then this may not matter to you.

  4) For tracker devices other than the Spaceball and simple joysticks,
     you'll need to use the VRPN library, or write your own Tracker device
     class and add it to the VMD source. In the past VMD was primarily used
     with CAVElib or FreeVR when using head tracking and VR type stuff.
     If you're not using a head tracker and are just after a pointer/wand
     type thing, then VRPN is probably the way to go as that's already built
     into VMD. If you DO want head tracking, then CAVElib or FreeVR are
     the best immediate choices. If those aren't suitable, then you'll
     need to write your own DisplayDevice and tracker subclasses that
     implement the head tracking and take input from your device.