From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 17 2006 - 10:49:40 CST

Hi,
  If you've installed the NVidia drivers correctly, you should be able
to run the "glxinfo" command and see that the NVidia driver is running,
that you have a correct GLX extension, and so on. If "glxinfo" fails,
then you need to re-read the NVidia driver installation documentation
and make sure that your XFree86 configuration files have no errors, that
you're loading the right kernel modules, and so on. If all of that works
fine, but you still have trouble running VMD, then the next thing to check
is to do 'ldd /usr/local/lib/vmd/vmd_LINUXAMD64' and make sure that you're
picking up the right OpenGL libraries etc. There are numerous things that
can go wrong with getting OpenGL setup on a machine, so it's important to
double or triple check that the XFree86 config file is good and that you
didn't get any warnings during the part of the installation where the kernel
modules were compiled by the NVidia installer. If you want more help, we'll
need to see the exact error messages that VMD prints when it tries to
setup, along with the output of "glxinfo", etc.