From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 14 2005 - 15:55:29 CDT

Jerry,
  Internally VMD uses cartesian coordinates for everything since this
greatly accelerates the graphics operations it performs when displaying
trajectories and large structures. At present there's not a convenient
way to alter the structure based on interpolation of internal coordinates,
though it should be possible to do this with some scripting. If you're
interested in doing operations like this, I can put you in touch with
Jan Saam who has done a significant amount of this sort of thing in the
process of his ongoing work on structure building plugins for VMD.
Let me know if you want to get into that further and I can hook you
up with a few people that are doing stuff that may be useful to you.