From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 29 2005 - 14:03:29 CDT

The latest test versions of VMD 1.8.4 include support for the altLoc fields.
The previous version (1.8.3) did not. If you are trying out one of the test
builds of VMD, you can view the various conformations individually by
using the atom selections:
  altloc '' or altloc 'A'
or
  altloc '' or altloc 'B'
etc...

The "altloc ''" catches the part of the structure that's common to
all conformations. The "or" adds in the second part which selects
the specific conformation you want out of the remaining multi-conformation
part of the structure.

If you're interested in trying this out, I have test builds posted here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/alpha/