From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 15:13:15 CDT

Hi,
  You can just type that command into the VMD text console.
Alternately, you can do that with the mouse by pressing 's' when the
mouse is in the graphics window, which changes the mouse to scaling mode.
When you're finished you can press 'r' again to return to rotation mode.
You can also do this from the Mouse menu. The next version of VMD will have a
nicer centering feature that will make it easier to recenter the view
on a particular structure of interest.