From: Jacinto S. (galathil_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 03 2005 - 14:37:29 CDT

2005/9/2, bybaker_at_itsa.ucsf.edu <bybaker_at_itsa.ucsf.edu>:
> Hello, VMD:
>
> I am haveing trouble to run 'vmdtext'. I check the NAMD mail-list.
> Someone suggested that one should create an alias with vmdtext. Here
> is message from the mail list:
>
> -----
> in cshrc you add to your .cshrc:
>
> alias vmdtext 'vmd -dispdev text'
>
> in bash, you aff to your .bashrc:
>
> alias vmdtext='vmd -dispdev text'
>
> -----
>
> I tried the above instructions. Here is how I did: open a terminal
> window (or VMD TkConsole)
>
> [--------:~] bo% alias vmdtext='vmd -dispdev text'
> [--------:~] bo% vmdtext -e ubq.pgn
> tcsh: vmd: Command not found.

This likely occurs because vmd is not in your path. Try 'which vmd' in
the Terminal. If it says 'vmd: Command not found.' you'll need to add
the directory where vmd is located to your PATH environment variable.
For example, if vmd is in /usr/local/bin do:

% setenv PATH "${PATH}:/usr/local/bin"

('%' is your shell's prompt)

> Seems that I didn't get to the right path. I am not good at unix
> system. Could anyone give me some instructions on how can I find
> .cshrc in my computer and how to alias 'vmdtex' ? I use Mac OS X
> 10.3 (It is seems a 'tsch'), and Window XP. And VMD 1.8.3.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Bo

The .cshrc is a configuration file for tcsh. It should be located in
your home directory. If it does not exist create it. The alias command
"alias vmdtext 'vmd -dispdev text'" should work.