From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 15 2005 - 14:07:42 CDT

Bob,
  At the moment VMD doesn't calculate or display bonds between atoms in
periodic images. This is on the TODO list but requires more more finesse
than the code we have implemented thus far. Perhaps in a subsequent release
we'll have something like this. One could do this with scripting, but at
present there's no built-in feature for this purpose.