From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 29 2005 - 18:21:28 CDT

Ioana,
  VMD only renders in RGB at present, but you can use third party software
to convert the images it produces to the myriads of file formats out there.
The way to control "DPI" from within VMD is to estimate the printed size
(in inches) of the image you're planning to render, than multiply that by
the target DPI, and render the image at the resolution you get from that
calculation. I may write a VMD plugin to assist with that stuff down
the road a little further. There's much more flexibility with the software
renderers than with the "snapshot" renderer that "screen scrapes" the image
via OpenGL calls.